Saturday, January 19, 2008

We interrupt this marriage for HUNTING season

ode to duck hunting

Today is the last day of the 07-08 duck hunting season! We are all sad to see this glorious season pass. The season of early mornings, long days without my husband, little David asking if he can go hunting, ducks in my deep freezer, and in the colder months, ducks laying on the garage floor. I must say, this will all be missed! As a woman, I don't think I will ever understand, what could possible motivate someone to get up at 3a.m. and go sit in the freezing cold. I was talking to my mom, and we both agreed that nothing could get us out of bed that early. But Dave loves it, he looks forward to this time of year. I think the planning of a Duck Season begins as soon as the last one ends. He strategizes, and researches, it is amazing all that goes into this, the hobbies of all hobbies. I am glad that he loves it, and that he has found something that he truly enjoys! This is such a legacy that has been passed down from grandfather to father to son to child. I am so thankful that Dave had that time of the long car ride to the Salton Sea, where he and his dad and brother could just talk for hours. Those times are priceless. I am also thanful that this "man" time is being continued with our little boys. I guess it is worth being a hunting widow for a few months out of the year!

7 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I have never hunted, actually, I've probably never even touched a gun, but we camped a lot as a family. Those are some of the best family memories growing up. I would be fine with Jeff hunting, I just wouldn't want to touch the duck or pluck out the feathers or eat it.

kami @ nobiggie.net said...

Good work on the mosaic!

P.S. That pic of Katherine is too funny, she looks so cute and then there is a dead duck.

I thought you guys were SoCal Surfers ? :)

KarliSue said...

Is Kathryn really holding a dead duck on her lap??

p.s.
I have some more stuff to burn. Are you in?

Lynette Callister said...

I don't know if "I" will miss seeing ducks de-feathered and skinned practically in my front yard, but I am sure "Spencer" will. hee hee

gio said...

Way to go Dave! Next season you'll have to make a trip up to ID...

Moreau's said...

Yes, Kathren is holding a dead duck! I know, I know--gross! maybe she'll be a veterinarian or a biologist, or somthing like that!

Mike and Jackie said...

Looks like you guys are filling your two year food supply. I don't know if I could eat duck unless I had to.