Tuesday, January 29, 2008

True Love

I have been thinking alot about love, you know since Valentines Day is quickly approaching. I think one of the greatest examples of true love is the Hinckley's. The following is a letter that was read at Sister Hinckley's funeral.




�My darling,

�It is now more than 60 years since we entered the Salt Lake Temple there to be married for eternity.� I had known you for a long time prior to that.� I knew what I was getting in to and it has all turned out as I thought it would.

�What a treasured companion you have been. Through all of these years we have walked side by side as equals before the Lord. There have been good days and bad days, but the good days have far outnumbered the bad ones.�

�Life, for the most part, has dealt gently with us.� During the Depression, when we were newly married, we were poor and we didn�t know it because we were so rich in the things that really count.� The laughter of happy children graced our kitchen table. The presence of a loving mother blessed our home.� The Lord opened the windows of heaven and showered down blessings too numerous to mention.� He has smiled upon us in a wondrous way.�

�When our children were young, you seldom� traveled with me.� I would be gone for as long as two months at a time.� There were not even telephone calls permitted in those days.� We wrote letters.� You never complained.� How wonderful it was to come home and be held warmly in your arms and those of our children.

�You have been my critic and my judge. You have pushed aside the flattery that comes with public life and winnowed the kind and sincere words of honest and loving friends.� You have held at bay that old fraud of adulation and kept my feet planted on the solid earth.

�How I appreciate you.� Your voracious appetite for reading and your relentless pursuit of knowledge has kept you alert and refreshing throughout a long and fruitful life.� Now we have grown old together and it has been a sweet experience.� We have shrunk in stature and move a little more slowly.� We are more forgetful, but as of this writing we still have one another and that is so good, and when in some future day the hand of death gently touches one or the other of us, there will be tears, yes, but there will also be a quiet and certain assurance of reunion and eternal companionship.

�I love you, dear.

Gordon�

What a Sweet Reunion they have had!

7 comments:

kami @ nobiggie.net said...

I am happy for them.

Jamma said...

What a beautiful letter of love...Ture love. I cried all the way through it...not because of the loss of this great man but,because of the great love that he had for his eternal companion and now they are together.I am so happy for them. They truly were great examples of true love. Thank you for posting this. Love you....Diane

Requel said...

I'm sitting here crying. That is so sweet. I've never heard that before. Thank you for posting that.

Millie Killpack said...

holy cow. that is a moving letter. true love.

Mary said...

Thanks for sharing this letter. I love it. That really is true love.

Rachel said...

This very thought has made his passing so much easier for me. I'm just so happy that they're finally back together.

Wendy said...

That's so sweet. I got teary eyed when I saw the pic of Pres Hinckley at his wife's funeral. I'm so glad they're together again.