Friday, January 4, 2008

Sweet Tunes

Okay, so I am easily amused. I love to get on my blog and hear the random shuffled soundtrack that provides background music for the stories of my life. I selected songs that brought back memories, and songs that I enjoy today. When I got on just now I heard Donny and Marie, "Little bit Country and a little bit rock n'roll" I smiled at the memories that I have of watching the Donny and Marie Show with my family. I was just a little tike (3), but nonetheless, I was a huge fan barbie dolls and all. When I hear anything by the Beach Boys, I think of cleaning the house with my sisters. We would blast the stereo as we cleaned. fun times. When I get on and hear "Just a little Respect" by Erasure, or "Rock Lobster" by the B52's, I smile as I remember the fun youth dances. We had these dances every Saturday Night. My friends and I would spend the whole day, shopping and planning our outfits, and then getting ready together. Salon Selectives hairspray also reminds me of those dances, cuz we would spray our bangs with that stuff until they were so stiff, no amount of persperation would make those things move!
When I hear "The way you look tonight" sung by Tony Bennett, I smile as I remember dancing with Dave at our reception. The beginning of our new life together. Some day when I'm old and gray, I will remember the way you look tonight. So sweet. We are already going gray, so we have a head start. :)
So the question I have for y'all is what song came on when you got on? And how did it make you feel, did it bring back memories, if so share, or is it a song that you have never heard? Also any suggestions for some really great tunes that I need to add?
Thanks!
Easy Listenin'

10 comments:

The Five that Jive said...

I loved your post, so I had to ablige...that song, bet on it, bet on it from High School Musical came on. I love that song because it's a huge turning point in the movie...he's finally realizing what a jerk he's been and that he's got to change. My daughter loves the movie..so I hear it alot and when she's happy, I'm happy. Thanks for always making me smile!!
Lindsey J

Em said...

I always tell everyone about my youth and Stake Dances and it is almost word for word the same. So Fun.

erica e said...

today's song for me: "what a wonderful world" one of my absolute favorites. reminds me of the movie 'you've got mail' and of dating hyrum. he burned me a cd back then and this was one of them.
and i love your references to old dances and hairspray. :) brings back the old days to remember how much hair spray we used to use.

Reynolds Fam said...

Karen
Why am I not surprised that we have the same due date AGAIN! I really enjoyed your blog. Really glad you sent the last email with the address pre-typed in because I couldn't pull it up earlier. Now, I am CONNECTED! So fun to hear about your family. I still think of you and our crazy mission days all the time! I'll write more later. Love, Shelley

Unknown said...

hee hee, so funny you should post this. we were out for a drive today and my hubby was controling the iPod. he kept putting on the funniest church dance tunes - "forever young" by alphaville, "love shack" by the B52s, "oh, lamour" by erasure. good stuff. and of course, we had to sing "livin' on a prayer" by bon jovi at the top of our lungs. because we love that one.

Anonymous said...

I didn't hear anything . .

but I am not a blogger . . .

what am I supposed to do

michelle

Anonymous said...

ok, so when I got to the bottom the music started. I didn't do anything, it just started.

IT HAD TO BE YOU

Reminds me of When Harry Met Sally - or When Kevin Met Michelle.

TV Version of course!

I am gonna have to check out this blog thing . . .

Wendy said...

no music played for me either. Karen I tagged you. Go check out my blog.

Mary said...

The beach boys song "wouldn't it be nice" came on which reminds me of the movie 50 First Dates.

elshmobelsh said...

mmm, "Break Away." The song came out long after Jay and I were married, so there is no "love" associations I make with the song. But I will confess that a part of me is excited to break away from my small town Utah upbringing and discover my wings and if I can fly. I do get excited when I think of flying and discovering new parts of me and new parts of this world.