Thursday, September 10, 2009

good ole days

Superstickies picture



My sister Lillian posted this picture on her blog a while ago. I have been looking at this adorable photo for months. Each time I look I get a little teary. You see, this is a picture of my mom and dad, and their four young children. My mom was younger in this photo than I am now. I look at her, in her stylish dress with her necklace, and pumps. She looks so beautiful and so proud of her young family. I look at my dad, with his mustache and shiny shoes. They were just starting out. They had four kids that were so cute! What a good looking family. I think of how, in this picture, at that moment, they had their whole lives to look forward to. They did not know at this point that they would adopt two beautiful little girls, and years later have two more little girls, for a total of eight children. They did not know that in 10 years their oldest son would be diagnosed with cancer, and die two short years later. They did not know that two years after that, that lovely young mother would be diagnosed with Parkinson's disease, which would change her life forever. I look at her so full of life, and wonder if she would have done anything different had she have known what her future would hold.

Tonight I went to enrichment night, where we talked about being happy. One of the things that was shared was the importance of living in the moment. Taking advantage of the opportunities to enjoy our lives, and our children. I have thought about how important that really is. Life is so short! We have no idea what our future holds. Like that young mother in the picture, my mother, things can change so quickly. Live so that there are no regrets. Let go of all anger, bitterness. Forgive and move on.

When we were down in San Diego one of my best friends sister passed away. She was young, a mother of three the oldest is 13 and the youngest is 9. She had breast cancer that spread to her bones and then through her whole body. Her funeral was beautiful, she was such a good example of living in the moment, really living life. The week before she died she went to the temple and did sealings. She could not walk, but she wanted to be in the temple. It just made me think, we never know what our future holds. Make the most of your todays! I have a quote hanging on my wall it says...

Learn from the past
Live in the present
Prepare for the future




Here is a similar picture of my young family. I want to take the example of the courageous women in my life and learn from them. I want to make every moment count and prepare for what my future may hold. Life is a beautiful thing! Lets be happy!

p.s. don't forget to call your mom and tell her you love her!

5 comments:

Hopefam said...

Thanks for that awsome post, it was just what I needed to hear!! You really are amazing, thanks for being you!!

Dawn said...

That was a great post. Thanks for being at enrichment last night. You brighten up the room. It was so good to see you there. Have at HAPPY day!!

Stephanie said...

What a great post, I cried! I always thought you were an amazing mom. Thanks for being a great example to me!

kami @ nobiggie.net said...

Hi Karen! You are such a good example. Thanks for sharing this post, I loved it.

Adkins' Mom said...

I think when your Mom passes you really get even more of a sense of how much Mom's love and how precious this time with your children is. Unfortunately or fortunately for you, you have this perspective earlier than most of us. Beautifully written. Wish I could call my mom too.