Monday, April 28, 2008

Mama Monday!



My mom has to sit in a chair most of the time. She gets up to go from point A to point B, but other than that she is sitting in her chair. You might say that her chair is her world. I love this picture because she is so happy listening to her grand kids sing to her. She gets this happy when anyone comes to visit her.

Most of my childhood memories with my mom are of her taking care of people. It all began with her eight children. Making sure they were all where they needed to be. Scrubbing office floors, so her girls could all take dance, and piano. When I was two, my brother passed away from Cancer, he was 18. My mom took care of him. When I was 7 my grandma, her mother, came to live with us. She was getting ready to die, and my mom took care of her until she died. Then my great-aunt came to live with us. She had fallen and broken her hip and could not be left alone, so my mom took care of her for years until she died. She also took care of her father for many months until he passed away. My mom did laundry for an older man for years. She took care of him before he passed away. I look back and just remember her always helping someone.

Now she has slowed down. She can't take care of others physical needs like she once did. However, even with her debilitating disease, she still has a way of helping others. Whether it is a smile, or a big hug (she gives the best hugs) she is still helping others. She helps me by always listening to me, and encouraging me to be my best self. She believes in me, and makes me feel like I could do anything. I am so thankful that I have been honored to have her as my mom! She has set such an example of service and Christ like love that I can only hope to obtain someday.

I love you mom!

p.s. if any of you are near where my mom lives, go give her a hug for me! You won't regret it! She gives great hugs!

6 comments:

kami @ nobiggie.net said...

You Mom seems like such an amazing person. What a great reminder to all of us to always serve other people. When is your actual due date? I think our babies are due around the same time.

The Five that Jive said...

Your mom sounds like an amazing woman...one that I definately want to strive to be like. Thanks for sharing those memories. She looks like a sweetheart!
Lindsey J

Lynette Callister said...

Thanks for that tribute, it makes me want to be better. I love your mom.

Jamma said...

Thanks Karen....We are so blessed to have a wonderful mother, she is amazing!!! Hope all is well...Love you!! Diane

Millie Killpack said...

I loved this post. Thanks for sharing with us. I wish we all knew her.

Wendy said...

What a giving person your mom is. That brought tears to my eyes.