Tuesday, February 5, 2008

spinach DElight

I have had many requests for the oh so yummy spinach shake receipe. There really is no receipe. It is basically, whatever you have, and whatever you want. I am going to post the way that we make this delicious drink every morning.


First, we put in the SPINACH. We buy the spinach from Costco. We get the organic kind in the plastic tub. We go through this in one week. The bag of spinach, even though it is less money, we could not use it all and would throw almost half of it away. So to get rid of the guilt of wasting, I switched to the smaller amount. Any kind of spinach will do. We put about two big handfuls in the blender.


Then we add a banana. I let mine ripe on the counter, and then I peel them, and put them in a freezer ziploc and store in the freezer. I use the fresh banana's if I have them, but it is also nice to keep some in the freezer just in case you don't have the freeshie's.




Next comes the frozen fruit, any frozen fruit that you like. We like blueberries, and strawberries. We have also bought the fruit assortment with peaches, honeydew, etc. That is yummy too. Basically whatever fruit you like will make this yummy to you.


Lastly, we add the juice. We use orange juice. But you could use whatever juice you like. We have a juicer, so alot of times we add half carrot juice, and half orange juice. Just for added vitamins. Pinapple juice is good too. If you half to watch your sugars, you can use the diet V8 splash, or Ocean Spray makes a sugar free juice.


Then all you do is blend, blend, blend. It should look like one of those Jamba Juice smoothies.


This is about how much one blender full makes. We drink it in these 32 ounce tumblers, and the two kids drink it in these 10 ounce cups. When we make it for the entire family, we usually take smaller portions. We put ours in the 18 ounce cups. And then each of the kids gets a 10 ouncer.


p.s. I promise that you will not taste the spinach. I am one of the pickiest people that you will ever meet, and my pallette is quite happy every morning when I drink this. Even my kids love it!!!
p.s.s. Let me know if you love it, like it, or can't stand it! Or if you have any other questions! Enjoy!!!!

19 comments:

Burrows: places of retreat; shelter or refuge. said...

Thanks for the recipe! The pictures of the process are great for those of us who are visual learners!
And we would love to be added to the list of really cool people.

The Five that Jive said...

I love the picture of your adorable kids drinking it up! It does look like a jamba juice smoothie...I'm excited to make my own. I'll let you know if I love it or hate it...hehehe. And I'm extra white and nerdy-out!
Lindsey J

The Five that Jive said...

p.s. where did you get those cute cups for the kids? Why don't people ever have tupperware parties?
Lindsey J

Mary said...

Thank you for the recipe and the pictures. I made this after trying it at enrichment and I didn't like it and was confused. After looking at your recipe and pictures I think I put too much spinach and didn't blend it long enough. I'm not sure if this is an "every morning" type thing for me, but I do like it! I'll try it again with your recipe and see how it goes.

erica e said...

hmm... i may have to try this. sounds sneakily healthy.
and bytheway, i can see the emma in you- the sweet, social, pretty aspects of her in you. :)

Lynette Callister said...

Thanks for the recipe, looks yummy.
I might just take you up on the invite to do mosaics. I am trying to do one right now and it's ticking me off, I almost have it, but they come out waaaayy small, aaahhhhh!

kami @ nobiggie.net said...

Karen - Thanks for the yummy recipe, I want to try it. I am impressed how your blender was so full and nothing spilled out. What a great way to get the good stuff in everyday!

HeaddaMarie said...

You totally crack me up!! I love these smoothies...although I must say that I use more "greens" then I do fruit. I use water, hemp seeds (for protein) then a handful or 2 (usually 2) of spinach and some leaves of romaine, red or green lettuce (usually romaine. Then 1-2 bananas, 1 apple and 5-8 frozen strawberries. Mine turns out GREEN!! But I still love it!! And now I have Clark wanting one every day, as long as there is no banana in it. If I use a mixed berry assortment then mine isn't as green. Either way they are DELISH!! And oh so healthy!!

miller family said...

karen, i've been wanting to ask you for this recipe forever!! thank you for doing this:)
and, i'm so sorry i didn't get to talk to you today at karli's. i turned away, and you had already left. i hope all is going well for you and your family.
tiff

KarliSue said...

Karen,
These are the best smoothies ever!!! Thank you for sharing your culinary expertise with us all!

ps
Kathren was so sweet today thanks for letting her spend some time with Kiana and THANK YOU for the sweet shirt for Desmond. You are such a great friend. You always know when I need a hug!

Thanks

Elizabeth said...

Sounds good. I guess I'll be off to Costco to get the ingredients.

Unknown said...

Thank for the step-by-step recipe! I am a little slow when it comes to recipes, so the pictures are great!
PS-I really like these smoothies! I think you have converted half of the ward!

Rachel said...

Yum! I want to try it! West's hair is the sweetest!

BA said...

I'd only try that if you could guarantee muscles like Popeye and hair like West's... shaka.

The Sutherland Family said...

Karen this looks SO good and healthy, that's always a plus! I'm gonna try this tomorrow after I go to costco. Thanks! I added you to our blog if that's ok.

Brett and Amy said...

It looks so delicious and very aesthetically pleasing. But seriously, you can't taste the spinach?

Lynette Callister said...

Yum- I am totally gonna try it. I will have to get the carb count down for Spencer, that may be tricky. I wont tell him that it has spinach in it, cuz, he is totally against spinach since that e-coli thing happened last year. I'll have to tell you that whole story another day.

Not quite Utards said...

Karen,
I, too, drink smoothies daily, but I hadn't tried the spinach. So, I went out and bought it at costco and made the smoothie with bananas, strawberries, vanilla yogurt and OJ. You're right, you can't tasted the spinach! I shared it with my daughter and her reaction was, "This is so delicious, Mom. It's the best smoothie ever!" Looks like we're onto something. I needed a way to get more veggies in my diet and now I do with the spinach in my smoothie! YEAH! Thanks for the recipe.

Tami said...

We do this too! I also sometimes add in a scoop of sprouted golden flax for some extra Omega 3's. I love smoothies. We've also made a chocolate banana smoothie. Chocolate soymilk, frozen bananas, ice, and spinach. If you can get past the color, it's a tasty treat.