Monday, August 11, 2008

Ode to the Newborn




Since tomorrow little Lillian will be 2 months old, I decided to reflect on the glories of the newborn stage. I have really tried to enjoy everything about this stage. Time and 4 other children have taught me that it goes by way too fast. When you are in the thick of it though, sometimes it doesn't go by fast enough. Here are some of my favorite things about the newborn...

1. I love the milk breath, and that milky tongue.

2. I love that they scream bloody murder because they are hungry, and then when you feed them they eat for like 5 minutes, and then fall asleep , because eating is exhausting.

3. I love when they smile at nothing, what do they see anyway? I did not realize that the couch cushions were that entertaining!

4. I love when they laugh in their sleep. So cute to see them laugh, and you know that they are having a really good dream.

5. I love that they grab your finger, I know that it is a reflex, but it still melts my heart.

6. I love the gripper toes. Do any of you know what I am talking about? When they curl their toes so tight. I think it's adorable.

7. I love how they can fall asleep anywhere, and sleep through anything. I wish that I could do that too.

8. I love how they come out soo little and every week they just sort of inflate like a balloon. When Lillian came out she was tiny, her feet were so skinny, and within a week, she just started inflating.

9. I love those quiet moments in the middle of the night, when it is just you and the little one.

10. I love that she could be screaming, and when I pick her up she stops. That is a real self-esteem booster.

11 comments:

kami @ nobiggie.net said...

I love your list! So many good ones that I left off. It is such a good stage, but I am glad it isn't forever. The sleepless nights.

I am glad you are enjoying it so much. :)

Hopefam said...

I agree, I am starting to get excited for all of those things, it is crazy that you can be totally ehausted and frazzled but it all goes away when they look up into your face with complete trust and adoration - motherhood is truly amazing!!!

J♥M said...

You are amazing!

oneworld said...

You said it perfectly. Oh how I miss all that!!! We are finally all healthy yea!! That stomach flu was brutal -- we'll have to get together for my b-day- Girls night out or whatever!!

Mike and Jackie said...

Yay! I finally understand the newborn joys. I love it.

Anytime you want help with your announcement just holler.
(holler is a weird word to spell)

Requel said...

Oh I miss all those things. Every stage is so fun. I love being a Mom. I always thought she could see angels would she would just look away and smile at nothing. I love that. Precious little things!

Stephanie said...

Congrats on the new baby! What an angel!

Wendy said...

Sounds like you're doing so well. And newborns are great aren't they. I love to wrap em up and just sit and hold them. I sware they see angels all the time.

Your friends post - I love old friends where there are tons of history and memories together. Its so fun to see how well everyone has reproduced too.

The Five that Jive said...

So sweet! I'm so glad that you're enjoying every precious moment! It was great to see you tonight and at church on Sunday...you look so good! Email me at lindseyandrick@hotmail.com!!
Lindsey J

Christine said...

Did you change the spelling of Lillyan's name??

Christine said...

That was so cute! I also love the finger-knuckle-dimples on Adriana's hands....the fat rolls on her thighs, her smiles, and of course, the baby breath. Being sick with a cold and not being able to smell it made me realize how much I love that!